Thursday, September 17, 2009

Family Vacation - Marco Island, FL

We spent last week (Labor Day week) in Marco Island, FL for our Bach family beach vacation. Since it's about a nine hour drive from Atlanta, Clay and I decided to leave on Friday afternoon of Labor Day Weekend and drive halfway then finish the rest of the drive on Saturday morning (our check-in day). It took us forever just to get out of Atlanta on Friday afternoon - I guess everyone else had the same idea of leaving town early :) I should have known that would happen but even though it took longer on Friday, it helped break up the long drive overall and was well worth it.

We had a great week with Mom and Dad Bach; Becca, Daryn, and our adorable nephews Matthew (2 years old) and Nathan (4 months old); and all of my brothers Kelvin, Jeff, and Tim. Jeff could only stay about halfway through the week because he had to get back to work. Although there was some drama and an ER visit for Matthew on the first night, we all had a fun time eating, relaxing, being at the beach and the pool, and enjoying each other's company.

On Labor Day, Jeff took us to a state park to go canoeing on the river. Everyone went in the canoes except for my mom and I who were taking care of Nathan. I didn't think it would be a good idea if I tried to canoe so my mom and I had fun with Nathan on the shore line. Nathan was, as always, wonderful and was really alert watching all of his surroundings like the dragonflies and birds.

They had to use three different canoes and apparently the canoe that Jeff, Becca, Daryn, and Matthew were in came right up next to an alligator. I'm glad I did not see it! I think Jeff took some pictures of it but I haven't seen them yet. I think Matthew really enjoyed being in the canoe.

It was so much fun being with all my family and seeing the nephews as they are growing up so fast. Matthew is turning into an independent little boy and is talking so much now. You have to be careful what you say because he is listening and will repeat a lot of it. Clay and I taught him how to say "Go Dawgs!". It was so cute. Matthew was also pretty interested in the baby inside my tummy and would kiss him goodnight and give him hugs. I can't wait for when our little boy will get to play with his cousins - I'm sure they'll teach him only good things, right? ;)

Nathan is growing more and more each day and really is developing a personality. I got the chance to help feed him, put him down for naps, and hold him. The holding him part was a bit of a challenge since my belly seemed to get in the way a bit. He is so adorable and we're so thankful for this little miracle and that he could be with us on vacation!

It was sad to leave on Saturday to go home since the next time we will see everyone (or most everyone) will be at Thanksgiving. By that time, we will have added another member to this family - our little boy!! Times like these really make me wish that all of our families (both Clay's and mine) lived close by so we could see each other more often. I guess that just makes us cherish the times we do have with them even more.

Here are some pictures from the week in a slideshow format.


1 comment:

  1. We had a great time with you too! We miss being so far away but do cherish all the times we are together!

    ReplyDelete